Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My story is not unique, but has definitely not hit mainstream either. The basics: Born to Guatemalan immigrants, who worked day in and day out to keep our heads above the water even in the most poverty stricken areas in Los Angeles. My education was a draw of the hat, a game that either gave me wonderful teachers that I would remember forever, or teachers that would help burn the stamp of a fuck up on my soul for the rest of my days. Sadly the good teachers were rare. I saw the differences between my community and others and I for the the life of me I could not put together how such a big disparity could exist. What was this monster that kept good people like my parents and neighbors so apathetic and over labored as others relaxed and never seemed to do anything? So I was a girl who felt angry, who felt something was being cheated from her, not a full bank account or nicer siblings but an opportunity to understand the world around her, so she too, may one day help those around her. At the end of the day that's what really dwelled in my heart the longing to help. Yes even that underestimated, "attitudy" kid in the back, who seems lazy but really is just discouraged WANTS to help. Not knowing how to do this I did what all teens do when they are lost; I drank! I partied, I ditched school, I hung out with some bad people etc. and I believed that those teachers, those Mrs. Solimans of the world! Until once day I got back the courage I had lost or had stolen from me (maybe both) and just stopped. I looked at myself and I didnt like who I was (this story will come later) and decided to go to college. College changed everything finally people were telling me the truth and all that injustice I thought I felt turned out to be real, I KNEW IT! :) I studied global politics learned the secrets of the intricate web of power, poverty and wealth, and so my monster became a multilayered SOB who had been rooted into the ground for centuries, so I began digging. Now after years of transformation, I am a Peace Corps volunteer in Moldova. Helping, or at least trying to help, and though I am not here to save the world I am here to put my two cents of positivity into the the jar of hope. I feel I can do that in a different way than most because of my past, because I am passionate about what I do because I know what it is to feel lost. I am one of the rare canidates that comes from my background hence my dynamic here is different, I see people I know and love in the eyes of some of the poor here all the time. This is what this blog is about, its about a once upon time that began with an underestimated latina who is not no longer this person; about the projects she is embarking upon and how she is finally learning how to help.

So this is a blog about my 2 year service and all the drama and success of the projects I embark upon I hope u enjoy two years of what an underestimated girl can do for the world.

2 comments:

  1. You are so wonderful and beautiful! I look forward to reading more of your posts, Mar Mar! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I love your blog, and reading this made me feel very sad but happy because I know how much this has always meant to you. Sharing your dream with the world is a great idea, thanks for putting a smile on my face once more =).

    ReplyDelete