Saturday, August 6, 2011

What I will remember about "Roma Boots"

RISE's "Roma Boots" drop will forever be in my memories as one of the best things I have done thus far in my Peace Corps service.

Over 40 children were given rain boots to shield their feet from the harsh mud and snow that often prevents them from attending school.

There are many things about this event I can write about. I could write about the long absurd bureaucratic process and hidden fees my partners and I had to endure to get our boots through customs. I could write about crying because the clock was ticking and we couldn't get a health clearance for the boots. Or I could tell you about being stuck at the border for 6+ hours, coordinating separate individuals to meet each other in Romania to pick up our boots from Moldova with no money in my pocket to call but, figuring it out anyway. I could tell you about the RISE members' hard work taking inventory, bagging and taging all 200 pairs of boots, and then sitting outside forever trying to transport them back to Peace Corps! I could complain about the stress, the time, the people, the endless emails and the STAMPS!

Tarna Rom, helping us complete the paper work necessary for customs

But no, what I want to share with you is this:

On July 9th, 2011, Peace Corps volunteers and Samual Bistrian, "Roma Boots" founder, spent their time and money to go into a village they had never heard of before, to give out dearly needed supplies to impoverished Moldovan children.

Without much rehearsal or direction, these volunteers organized themselves, led a wonderful presentation about self empowerment, fitted and gave away boots to children in a tiny room, on a very hot day. They began to work in unison, with care and smiles.
And when all the papers were signed and the last pair of boots was given away, I looked around at all of the RISE members, and remembered Samuel's words about overcoming hardship. My final thought, "Thank you, this is why I joined the Peace Corps."


We took a last tour of Schinoasa with the local children as they played with us (and continued to try to get us wet! lol) and eventually said good bye to our newly made friends feeling that
on that day, we did something amazing!

This event was made possible by all the things I mentioned before, but more importantly, it was remarkable because it was truly a work of love, compassion and our deep commitment to spread peace and friendship. For many of us the embodiment of why we go across the world to help others is rarely something we can see, but our trip to Schinoasa was just that.

So what I will remember about our boot drop is deep wrinkles being formed by wide smiles on the faces of some of Moldova's most impoverished people. Watching children looking into their Roma boot bags, and admiring their shiny new boots with glistening eyes . Long hugs, endless thank you's, smiles filled with gratitude, an older women telling me "thank you for not forgetting us", my fellow volunteers who made me proud to serve my country along side them, and Samuel, who allowed us to participate in his dream.

What a truly memorable day!




Visit Samuel's ogranization's webpage here: http://www.romaprovisions.com/
Sam and I, "Roma Boots, giving poverty the boot!"












No comments:

Post a Comment