Sunday, May 9, 2010

Miracles happen Project #1

I received a random email from my project manager about a film competition about "Miracles". Intrigued I read that the kids had to write a fictional story that would re inspire the audience to believe in miracles. At first I thought...."I know nothing about film" but the ideas kept coming into my head and I remembered some stuff I did in college with windows movie maker so screw it I jumped on not knowing where to start. We decided to do a mini documentary about all the things in our everyday lives that were miracles. Growing poor you got to be grateful for everything!!! We filmed for 3 months, these kids came out after school on the weekends, just amazing! I mentioned the project to my friend Matt Jones aka Jonesy, and lucky for me he is an amazing editor. Jonesy and I edited day in and day out, 24 hours sometimes to meet our deadline. In the end it payed off, We WON! The day I told Jonsey we nearly cried (well I did cry) and we jumped around for joy, when I told my kids they screamed and ran over and almost tackled me to the ground with hugs :) It was kinda mean of me because I told them when they were in Math class and the teacher was not too happy, HEY I couldnt keep it in any longer! We won! The kids got school supplies and our school got books for the library! More importantly my kids were so pumped they want to do more projects, these kids were just dying to do something, this is one penny for the hope jar.

Take a look here is the film on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyk2qJjPQwE



***Our video was shown to other volunteers and even classrooms in America, the feedback from kids has been amazing check out some of these comments:

NRichter Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am

We watched the video you posted of Hincesti. We saw that the population is 19,500, there is 22% unemployment, and 25% of kids are without a parent. We found out how miracles are taken in Hincesti. They take the small things in life for miracles. They also take dancing, love nature, thinking, hearing, and life as a miracle. I thought that people in Hincesti are happy with everyday things for miracles. Thank for posting a fantastic video.

KNatwora Mar 23, 2010 5:54 am

In Q.U.E.S.T today we were able to watch and discuss the video that the people from Hincesti created. We talked about miracles and what they mean and are to us. I believe miracles are not impossible but more unexpected because people don’t believe they could accomplish what they wanted to. There are new miracles that happen all the time. I said one form of a miracle is Faith, and Hope. For example, new children are brought into our world everyday, many of which are miracle babies. No parent would want to be told that their new born baby is unhealthy and only have a time range to live. With the dreaded sorrows, many people lose their faith and hope to believe somehow this poor innocent child will make through okay. Then all of a sudden they find out their baby is okay all is rejoiced. They realized a miracle is happened. Not because it would have never happened but they didn’t except it to. Having faith, love, and hope are three big ways miracles occur everyday. People never would believe what miracles they’ve experienced. In our country miracles are taken for granted, and no one really knows the true meaning of a miracle.

From AmandaMy name is Amanda, and I am one of the kids who saw your video about miracles. I feel guilty that you guys appreciate everything you have and I take everything for granted.The video was very cool. I agree to almost everything you said about, what is a miracle.I’m so sorry about what’s going on over there. I wish I could help.

From.Amanda Eighth grade studentp.s my favorite part was the guy dancing.

DPatterson123 Mar 16, 2010 6:58 am

I watched the video and it really opened my eyes to what it is like in Hincesti. I feel inspired to see miracles in small things. People take so much for granted I am happy someone sees the best in things

After this and other comments from volunteers like " I was having such a shitty day and than I watched your video and I remembered why I was a volunteer" just floored Jonesy and I, we had stumbled upon something that reached people, something that was meaningful hence Mahala films was born.

Project number #1 September-December 2oo9 :D 1 year and 9 months of service left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment